What is a REALTOR®? Only real estate professionals who are members of the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF
REALTORS® (NAR) can call themselves REALTORS®. All REALTORS® adhere to NAR's strict
Code of Ethics, which is based on professionalism and protection of the public. That's why
all real estate licensees are NOT the same.
Dedicated to serving America's property owners at both
local and national levels, the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS®, The Voice for Real
Estate®, is the largest professional association at over 800,000 members strong. So,
whether you're buying or selling a home - it pays to work with a Realtor®. Look for the
REALTOR® logo when choosing your real estate agent.
When Buying A Home - Why Use A REALTOR®?
REALTORS® provided critical assistance with the
home buying process.
- Has many resources to assist you in your home search.
- Can help you determine your buying power.
- Can help you negotiate.
- Can provide objective information about each property.
- Provides guidance during the evaluation of the property.
- Can guide you through the closing process and make sure
everything flows together smoothly.
An NAR Survey on Home Buyers reports:
- Two out of three home buyers reported that the most important service provided by a real
estate agent is helping buyers find the right home.
- Nearly four out of five home buyers used a real estate agent as an important information
source and to assist in the transaction.
- Nearly seven out of ten home buyers used a real estate agent
and/or broker to complete their transaction.
An NAR Survey on Home Sellers reports:
- The median sales price of an agent-assisted home was 27% more than one sold FSBO (For
Sale By Owner).
- Nearly four out of five homeowners sold their previous home with the assistance of a
real estate agent.
- The top three home seller expectations of real estate agents are: 1) find a buyer for my
home (29%); 2) sell my home within a specific timeframe (26%); 3) properly price my home
- Forty-seven percent of respondents would use the same
listing agent for their next home sale.
REALTOR® Designations - The Mark of Expertise and
The National Association of REALTORS® also offers
designations and certification programs to its members, including the ABR® and GRI
designations, and the e-PRO® certification program.
ABR® - Consumer demand for buyer representation has changed the
relationship between buyers and real estate professionals. REBAC (Real Estate BUYER'S
AGENT Council) awards the ABR® (Accredited Buyer Representative) designation to
REALTORS® who meet education and experience requirements to better prepare them to
GRI - A REALTOR® with Graduate REALTOR® Institute (GRI)
designation is trained in many areas, including legal and regulatory issues, professional
standards, the sales process and technology. A minimum of 90 hours of training is required
to achieve the GRI designation.
E-Pro® - e-Pro® certification indicates that a REALTOR® has
been trained on Internet business principles and the technologies required throughout the
real estate transaction.
TRC - Transnational Referral Certification (TRC) is earned
through coursework on how to make and receive referrals using the Transnational Referral
System developed by The International Consortium of Real Estate Associations (ICREA).
Through a multilateral agreement and using specific business protocols, ICREA assists
members (and their clients) to do international real estate business.
CIPS - The Certified International Property Specialist Network
(CIPS Network) is the specialty membership group for international practitioners of The
National Association of REALTORS® (the world's largest trade association). The CIPS
Network is comprised of 1,500 real estate professionals who deal in all types of real
estate and are also focused on the "international" market. Whether travelling
abroad to put deals together, assisting foreign investors, helping local buyers invest
abroad, or serving an immigrant niche in local markets, CIPS members are consumers best
resource to insure they are dealing with a professional skilled in the unique aspects of
international real estate.